Undergraduate Research at the Vis Center

America ya’ll (week 5)

Happy 4th of July!  Due to this holiday, we didn’t have a speaker this week and we had Wednesday off.  So… I will just discuss the work I did this week.

Basically this week I worked with display and gestures.  As a group we decided to have the app organized in a way such that once a manuscript is chosen, it opens up with the first page low res image is on the left and the translation on the right.  Also, there will be buttons at the top of the page that you can click on to see another viewer (3D, high res, etc.) instead of the translation.

At the moment I have the low res image set on the right side so you can swipe your finger along the screen and it will flip to the next image and cache it.  I also have imported a view instance of our 3D view controller (a UIView would not have worked because you wouldn’t be able to pan, zoom, rotate, or interact with the 3D image).  There were a lot of problems with the landscape view conflicting with the 3D gesture recognizing.  At first every action did the opposite of what it was supposed to do.  It frustratingly took more time than expected.  But it’s all good now, the 3D viewer had to be rotated to match the gestures.

So now I just need to import 3D images from the server.  That is my goal for next week.  I would be great to even get some other viewers imported too.