Undergraduate Research at the Vis Center

Week 3

Let me start off by saying that this has not been my week with technology. Considering that I am a History/Classics major, most of the time this is fine. However, it almost did me in this week.

Things I have learned this week:

1. Watching is not learning.

2. Over communication is never a bad thing.

3. I should NEVER re-size images from small to large. Ever.

This week I made my first major mistake in the project. I am a little embarrassed to admit what I did only because it shows my ineptitude in Computer Science. However, the whole debacle proved to me that this is a group effort, that I am indeed a History Major and not a Computer Science Major, and that I do not take notes out of habit, but out of necessity.

Here is what happened. In the process of name and processing all of the files and images for the server, I re-sized close to 20,000 images incorrectly. That was Wednesday. On Thursday, I re-sized 20,000 images correctly. It’s been a week, let me tell you.

The moment John and I realized what I had done (which occurred at approximately 2:34 PM–I only know this because the moment was, personally, a very traumatic one), we began to work to re download the images from the servers and databases… and I started again.

Luckily, through the help of John and Zack, I have been able to correct my mistake in a fairly timely manner. I am very thankful for both of them and their patience with me. I have learned more than I ever thought I would need to know about computers this week, and will be very happy to return to my Latin dictionary and ancient manuscripts next week.

Who would have thought naming files would be so complicated? Certainly not I.

(I would also like to note that I wrote a Blog post for this week already about 30 minutes ago, but in the process of submitting it for review, WordPress deleted everything I had written. So I wrote it again. I think this sums up what my interactions with computers have been like this week.)