Undergraduate Research at the Vis Center

Nearing halfway (week 4)

To start off the week, us research students went to Raising Cane’s to spend some time together and eat lunch.  Then we had a little seminar on design.  It corresponded with the rest of the week because we all got together with the graphic designer to plan the layout of the app.  This is critical, we have to make sure all the interfaces match for the best experience for the user.

So far our iOS app can import videos and images from the server through http requests.  I worked mainly on caching the low res images so the user can easily navigate through the images and flip through the pages without waiting for constant loading.  John perfected it so it could work with the pages from the server.  I also worked on portraying 3D images of the pages.  Now to import those from the server!  Challenge accepted.

And since I am almost halfway through the program, I need to take a moment to reflect.  Have you ever heard the phrase “hit the ground running”?  That’s how I felt at the beginning of the program.  I felt like I didn’t really know how to do what I needed to do.  But I’ve learned how to program for iOS in objective C.  I’ve learned how to interact with the server.  I’ve learned how to cooperate with others in order to complete a huge project.  And the funny thing is, we aren’t even done yet!  This is only from 4 weeks of working.  And I already feel so accomplished.  I can’t wait to see what happens next and I’m excited for the app to be completed.